Why You Should Stay at a Luxury Hotel
The rise of vacation rental services like Airbnb and HomeAway has given people more options than they have ever had before. And while those options may save travelers a few dollars here and there, they do not come close to offering the amenities available at luxury hotels.
The luxury hotel experience is all about class and convenience. It includes high-end entertainment, dining and accommodations on site, while also allowing you to easily explore the city should you choose to do so.
On this page, we will take a look at common luxury hotel characteristics, the benefits compared to other options, and the many amenities we offer at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino.
Are Luxury Hotels Worth It?
You would be hard pressed to find a traveler who has stayed at a luxury hotel and did not think the experience was worth every penny. The hallmarks of a good luxury hotel are top-notch customer service and accommodations, along with high-end features and services you did not even know you wanted.
You could compare the luxury hotel experience to what it is like to drive a luxury car. Yes, a basic model can get you from point A to point B just fine – but a luxury edition allows you to do so with comfort and style.
Choosing a luxury hotel is about much more than having a place to lay your head at night. In fact, a luxury hotel experience can be the highlight of your trip, rather than just an accommodation along the way.
Why Choose a Luxury Hotel?
Here is an overview of the amenities offered by many luxury hotels, along with specific examples from Dover Downs Hotel & Casino.
Relaxation is a big part of the luxury hotel experience, but it is also nice to have options you can use to work up a sweat and stay in tip-top condition.
Exercise options at many hotels are limited to a small room with a treadmill or two, some dumbbells and maybe a universal weight machine. Our fitness room goes well beyond these standard offerings, and our indoor pool is great for getting in some laps.
Spa and salon services are a key component to the luxury hotel experience, and here that means the Balinese-inspired Toppers Spa/Salon. We offer many a la carte services, along with luxury packages including:
- The Classic Day: A luxurious full-day experience that includes a massage, a European facial, manicure and pedicure, full hair and makeup, and lunch. You will also get a gift package featuring an aromatherapy candle, an eye pillow and a spa bath collection.
- The Grand Escape: A blend of our hot stone treatments, along with a massage, facial and manicure/pedicure services.
- Destination Relaxation: A pared-down package that includes our essential massage, European facial and manicure and pedicure services.
- Gentleman's Excursion: A package designed to cater to men with a deep-tissue massage, manicure and pedicure services and facial.
- Those Were the Days: An anti-aging package that includes a radiance facial, cellulite contour treatment, a specialized manicure and a neck and décolleté rescue process.
- A World Away Body Rejuvenation: A more immersive package that includes a Swedish massage, aromatherapy and beauty treatments for rejuvenation.
- Perfect Getaway: A great option for pairs or couples, this package includes an essential massage, European facial, hand paraffin rescue and a spa lunch.
- Quiet Retreat: Designed for those who want to take some time to get away from it all, this package includes the essential massage and European facial in a laid-back and relaxing setting.
Dining options are essential to the luxury hotel experience, something you will quickly realize at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino. We have nine restaurants to choose from that offer variety and first-class meals:
- Michele's: Our high-end luxury dining option, serving fare including steaks, seafood and fresh sushi. It is perfect for a romantic evening or to start a night of gaming and entertainment.
- Frankie's: A family-friendly Italian restaurant featuring a wide variety of pasta and sauces, as well as brick oven pizza.
- Doc Magrogan's: A high-end seafood restaurant that features fresh catches every day of the week, along with an impressive selection of craft beers.
- The Festival Buffet: A buffet-style restaurant that features everything you would expect for breakfast, lunch and dinner, along with an option to upgrade to lobster tail or filet mignon for just $6.
- The Garden Cafe: A more health-conscious option that features the best cuts of meat and always-fresh salads and seafood.
- Gr8 Burgers & Shakes A hamburger and hot dog joint that offers more than 15 half-pound burgers, including options for vegetarian and gluten-free diets. It also features extra-large hot dogs, hand-cut French fries and milkshakes made to order.
- Sweet Perks: A quick-and-easy coffee shop that offers everything from black coffee to specialty drinks, as well as muffins, soft pretzels and ready-to-go paninis and salads.
- Sweet Perks Too. A second location of the above to help make your stay even more convenient.
- Winner's Circle. Open during the November – April harness racing season, the Winner's Circle gives diners an exclusive view of the harness race track finish line and serves home-style cuisine.
No luxury hotel experience is complete without the option of a refreshing cocktail or two. On Fridays, you can wrap up your work week with $3 glasses of wine at all of our bars and restaurants. We have five bars for you to choose from:
- Fire & Ice Lounge: Known as one of the top nightclubs in Dover, DE, Fire & Ice is home to premium beer, wine and liquor, as well as live music performances. It also features daily drink specials and excellent happy hour deals.
- Race & Sports Book Pub: The perfect place to enjoy a beverage while placing wagers on live harness racing or other sporting events, this spot also features a food menu with wings, ribs and brick oven pizza, as well as daily food and drink specials.
- The Lobby Bar: The sophisticated Lobby Bar is open to everyone between Sunday and Thursday, but available exclusively to guests of Dover Downs Hotel & Casino on Fridays and Saturdays. Enjoy an upscale drink before or after dinner, and be sure to stop in on Thursdays for Martini Night.
- Gazebo Bar: Located right next to the main casino floor, the Gazebo Bar is dedicated to drinks, live entertainment and slots. It is perfect for taking a quick break from the gaming action or to enjoying the sights and sounds of the casino with a cocktail.
- The Terrace Bar: The Terrace Bar is a climate-controlled outdoor lounge located next to the main casino floor. It also features a cigar humidor, giving you the opportunity to enjoy a high-end libation and cigar while taking a break from the tables.
Most luxury hotels offer some combination of dining and spa services, but an advantage we have as a casino is the ability to regularly bring in national music and comedy talent. In the coming months, we will welcome the likes of En Vogue, Arsenio Hall and the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
Many other well-known musical acts have graced the Dover Downs Hotel & Casino and stage over the years, including:
- Boyz II Men
- Brian McKnight
- Ray Charles
- The Village People
- Michael Bolton
- Kenny Rogers
- Kool & The Gang
- Keith Sweat
- Isaac Hayes
- Gladys Knight
- Julio Iglesias
- Peter Frampton
- Luke Bryan
We have also brought in top comedians, including:
- Howie Mandel
- Dennis Miller
- Steven Wright
- Tracy Morgan
- Wanda Sykes
- Jim Breuer
- Legends of Comedy Tour
Given the many other amenities available, you may be thinking you will not want to spend much time in your room — and we have not even touched on our gaming options yet. But rest assured your room or suite has plenty of amenities as well, including:
- Complimentary Wi-Fi and voicemail
- Pillow-top bedding
- In-room safe
- Coffee maker
- Makeup Mirror
- Iron and ironing board
- Optional racetrack or city views
Dover Downs Hotel & Casino is also proud to offer rooms compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Not all luxury hotels are attached to casinos, and not all casino hotels feature luxury accommodations. Dover Downs Hotel & Casino offers you the best of both worlds, including high-end amenities and entertainment along with world-class gaming.
Here are some of the key features you will come across on our casino floor:
To say we have a wide array of slot machines to choose from would be a massive understatement. We have more than 2,300 machines on our floor, including popular progressive machines that build huge jackpots over time. We have a range of games, from penny machines all the way up to slots that feature $100 spins.
We also offer an excellent selection of table games, including:
- Three Card Poker
- Mississippi Stud
- Spanish 21
- High Card Flush
- Pai Gow Poker
- Heads Up Hold' Em
Like slots, our table games have something for everything, from beginners to high rollers. Here is a quick breakdown of the table minimums and limits for some of our most popular games:
- Blackjack: We offer three types of tables: $10 minimum to $500 maximum, $25 minimum to $1,000 maximum and $100 minimum to $2,500 maximum. We also have $5 tables from 6 a.m. to noon every day.
- Roulette: Minimums vary from $5 to $15, with a maximum of $100 in bets placed in any way.
- Craps: Our craps tables have $10 minimums and $1,000 maximums.
The Capital Club is our casino rewards program that allows members to earn points for any games they play. The Capital Club offers all of the rewards and perks you would expect, including cumulative comp dollars, slot play awards and monthly gift rewards.
We mentioned that some hotels offer luxury amenities. Fewer luxury hotels also have casinos. And even fewer still feature live horse racing in addition to the luxury accommodations and premium gaming. Dover Downs Hotel & Casino is one of the rare triple-threat resorts that offers all three.
We feature live harness racing from November to April, and we also simulcast thoroughbred and harness racing all year long. During the racing season, the track is open daily from 11 a.m. until midnight, and you can come and go as you please.
You can also take in some racing action from the comfort of your room with a racetrack view, or from a seat in our Winner's Circle Restaurant.
We also allow wagers on other sports, including our popular pro football parlay betting. Try one of our $5 parlay cards and pick 15 games against the point spread. If you get all of the games right, you will go home with a cool $100,000.
The Race & Sports Book is a great way to enjoy an afternoon of football, and you do not have to break the bank to participate, either, since minimum wagers start at just $2.
Luxury Amid a Historic Backdrop
You could easily spend days filled with fun, entertainment and relaxation at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino without ever leaving the grounds. But we would be remiss not to recommend spending some time in historic Dover, DE, the capital of the first U.S. state.
The city of Dover overflows with history, which should not come as a surprise considering its key role in the days of the American Revolution. There are plenty of historic sights and museums to take in, or you could enjoy a pint at Golden Fleece Tavern, where in 1787, 30 delegates ratified the U.S. Constitution, making Delaware the first state to do so.
Dover is home to the Dover International Speedway, which hosts two top-level NASCAR races each year. There is also the Biggs Museum of American Art, which houses 25 galleries organized to take you on a chronological art journey starting in the early 1700s.
Come to Dover Downs Hotel & Casino for a mix of high-end dining, spa services, gaming and nightlife, and stay for the opportunity to see the rest of Dover, one of the most historic cities in the U.S.